Support your Immune System
Colleen Sinclair CHN, PBT, MA
- A delicious healthy bone broth can be achieved in various ways using bones from a variety of sources such as chicken, turkey, beef, or fish.
- The most important part of the recipe is to make sure your bones come from a humanely raised animal. One that is free of toxins such as GMO’s, hormones, antibiotics, and vaccines. How the animal is raised is just as important. An animal that lived a happy low-stress life will offer this same energy into your meal. Organic is always essential to using Food as Medicine.
- Bone broth offers many health benefits. It’s easily digested and is loaded with many nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. These specific nutrients make it an excellent food to assist in healing gut issues. Easy to digest. Enjoy bone broth any time of the day and all day long. I even drink it for breakfast sometimes.
Examples of ingredients to look for:
Chicken – Pasture Raised, Free Range, Organic
Beef – Grass-Fed, Free Range, Organic
Fish – Wild Caught
You can ask the butcher at your grocery store for soup bones too.
Here’s how I make it:
I prepare a homemade chicken soup with organic vegetables, seasonings, and medicinal herbs. Some ingredients are optional. The beauty is you can turn this food into a potent medicine with the right ingredients. You can also modify it to meet your specific needs. I love adding herbs because they offer so many additional health benefits. Loaded with antioxidants, immune-boosting and tasty! All ingredients listed below make a tasty broth but if you prefer to leave some out or add some not listed it will still work. The most important ingredients are chicken and water. Be sure to purchase a whole Pasture Raised, Free Range, Organic Chicken.
It will be cooked in a crockpot for 12 hours or on the stovetop on a very low simmer for 3-4 hours.
The crockpot method is very easy and convenient. I like to let it cook while I sleep preparing it right before bed. Or I prepare it before I leave for work and it’s ready when I arrive home. The house smells great. You choose what works best for you.
After it has cooked for the time increments listed above I remove the chicken from the broth placing it into a bowl for it to cool. Once it’s cool enough I begin to separate the meat from the bones. Next, I place the bones back into the broth.
Enjoy eating your chicken with some of the broth and vegetables. The bones will continue to simmer on low in the broth for another 12 to 24 hours in a crockpot. You can add more water to create more broth. If you are cooking on the stovetop let the bones simmer for another 4 – 6 hours.
Recipe for Homemade Chicken Soup to Bone Broth
Ingredients: (*remember many ingredients are optional)
- Whole Chicken
- Distilled Water or Filtered Water
- Whole Onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 leek
- 1 parsnip
- Chaga Mushroom
- Burdock root
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt or Celtic Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Clean your chicken removing the gizzards from the internal cavity. Place chicken in your crockpot with all the veggies, herbs, and spices of your choice. Fill with distilled water or filtered water until the water covers the chicken about two inches above. Now cook the chicken on low for 8 – 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the broth placing it into a bowl for it to cool. Once it’s cool enough separate the meat from the bones. Next, place the bones back into the broth.
- Enjoy eating your chicken with some of the broth and vegetables.
- The bones will continue to simmer on low in the broth for another 12 to 24 hours in a crockpot. You can add more water to create more broth.
- (If you are cooking on the stovetop let the bones simmer for another 4 – 6 hours.)After the bones have simmered remove them from the broth along with all remaining herbs and veggies. You can strain it if needed. Now you have Bone Broth ☺
- Your bone broth will stay fresh for 2 days in the refrigerator. Freeze any broth you may not use in that time frame. Freezing in single servings will make reheating easier later.
Please contact me if you have any questions.